3 things I am grateful for:
- A beautiful day
- My family <3
Here are some beats + images for your work week!
- Small Voices - Matt Gresham
- Past Lives - BORNS (fave)
- Misery - Gwen Stefani
- Wasted on You - Louis Futon + ROZES
- Did I Die - The Strumbellas
- All of This - The Naked and Famous
- White t-shirt - Ofelia K
"Women are powerful, and I see them stifle this every. single. day. Stop looking to be saved and hiding your magic. Stop tossing aside your voice and valid emotions. Stop wasting your time with toxic friends, or searching for numbing cures. Material things, better jobs, and even other people - they won't fill your gap. Only you can do that. Life is short. Rise up and step back into your own intuitive and innate power. You are compassion and create force and divine life itself. You are a Goddess." - Victoria Erickson
- Echo - NONONO
- No Sugar in My Coffee - Caught a Ghost
- Ring of Fire - Devon Baldwin
- Let's Get Lost - G-Easy + Devon Baldwin
- In the Morning - Zhu (fave)
- Ophelia - The Lumineers
- No Room in Frame - Death Cab for Cutie
- River - Leon Bridges
Hope everybody is having a fabulous weekend! I have the day off today which is exciting so I'm going to get in some pool time. Here are some links for your Monday <3
- 12 Kinds of Kindness. An amazing project developed by Jessica Walsh and Timothy Goodman. Just. Amazing.
- You can now rent an exact replica of Van Gogh's bedroom. Sweet.
- 7 recipes to try on a day off.
- Love this new website that offers different perspectives and ideas
- Why looks aren't everything - Ted Talk
- Symmetry - Cillie Barnes
- Time Go - Caught a Ghost
- Young & Unafraid - The Moth & the Flame
- Like Real People Do - Hozier (fave)
- Brooklyn Baby - Lana Del Rey
- Finding Peace - You Me & Apollo
- Upswing - Prinze George
- Songs About Angels - Fences
- Looking too Closely - Fink
Just wanted to share some fashion I'm been obsessed with lately...
Jeans + a blazer
Neutrals + black pants
All black <3
Dress + tennis shoes
Beats for your week...<3
- This is How I Let You Down - The Franklin Electric
- New York - Milk + Bone
- Hey Hi - Cillie Barnes
- Sirens - Soren Bryce
- All I Want - Daniella Mason
Beats to Listen to While you Read
As human beings, we are obsessed with fear. I mean, OBSESSED. A fear of...
- Not being accepted by society
- Stepping outside of our comfort zones
- Success (Ironic, right?)
- Being our true selves
- Letting go
- Being alone
The list goes on and on and on. Aside from death, one thing we all share as humans is fear. Although some of us prefer not to admit it out loud, at the end of the day, we all fear something.
When I first started blogging, I was very fearful. Not only am I putting my inner thoughts and fears out into the world, but I felt nervous that readers wouldn't appreciate my thoughts or, even worse, actually know who I really am and how I feel about the world.
After plenty of overanalyzing as I am known to do from time to time, I have to come to understand one of my biggest fears: not knowing who I really am.
Waking up one day and coming to the realization you don't know who you really are can feel (for lack of a better phrase) fucking terrifying. You may experience some of the following emotions...lost, confused, sad, angry, impatient, perplexed.
Do we ever really know who we are? Or, rather, do we never fully accept it?
I believe many people spend their existence suppressing who they truly are based on the very simple yet complex explanation: fear. The root of this fear comes from mistrust; belief that the world won't approve of you if you don't conform to society or others opinions and beliefs. However, in order to build trust and confidence, you must allow yourself to be you and all of you. Being you is the key to success and happiness.
And when I say "who you really are", I am not referring to what flavor of ice cream you enjoy, but who you really are - your core values, your principles, how you view the world, views on various topics in the world, etc.
Figuring out who you are isn't something you decide overnight. It can be a lifelong process for many of us. When we fear something - really fear it - we tend to stay inside our bubble - a safe world we create for ourselves in order to avoid any pain and discomfort. The ironic aspect of this is we are in turn building a wall against the world in a sense. One against possibilities and our own true happiness. We don't experience new situations in life, we don't go on adventures, but rather, stay completely stagnant. It's a dangerous way to live and I think I've fallen victim to this for too long...the "stagnant lifestyle" one may call it.
Although it can be beyond scary, it can also be the most rewarding event to happen in your life. The first step in figuring out who you truly are is admitting you don't know who you are in the first place. It's a beautiful journey to begin <3.
The first step on the journey is to ask yourself some important questions, such as...
- What motivates you in life?
- How do you feel about different topics? (politics, marriage, art, books) Start small, but don't lie to yourself
- What makes you beyond happy? Think back when you were just a child and what made you smile. That helps.
- What do you want your legacy to be? In other words, if somebody were to write a book about you, how would it go? Then live that way.
Next, stop caring what society thinks. No matter what anybody debates, deep down we all care what people think about us. Some of us maybe more than others, but we all care. This particular step is the most difficult, at least for me. Trust me, it's not an easy feat to overcome, but practice makes perfect. The next step is coming to the realization that some people may not stick around in our lives once we reveal our true selves. The third step is understanding those people were not meant to be there in the first place. The fourth is sticking to being yourself, regardless of who or who isn't there. There are many more steps along the way, and I'll let you know when I get there.
One more note: YOU are beautiful. Don't ever forget it! <3
So I have been sick with strep since Sunday so that has not been fun! Not the best way to start the new year, but oh well. :) Hope all of you have been enjoying your new year so far!
Here are some beats for your week. :) Enjoy!
- Falling for You - Sam Pinkerton (fave)
- Shape - Glasser
- The Balfron Tower - CHAMPS
- Wolves - Down Like Silver
- Tokyo Sunrise - LP
- Stars + Satellites - Dan Griffin
As far back as I can remember, I have always been a rule follower.
I'm not saying I haven't done bad before; but rather, have consistently attempted to follow "the book of life." You know, the one that says go to bed at a decent hour, don't lie, etc.
I think it's very easy to get caught up in making sure we are following this book that one day we can wake up and feel as though we aren't truly ourselves. For instance, I used to always feel like I needed to go to bed because it was dark outside opposed to going to bed when I actually felt tired. Or apologized to somebody because it's the "right thing to do."
I believe there comes a point in everybody's life where they need to make up their own rules...
My rules so far are:
- Don't strive for perfection - it doesn't exist. Embrace your humanness and stop waiting for perfection but rather learn to loosen up and enjoy life.
- When I get upset about something small, I literally say out loud to myself "Will this matter on my death bed?" Yes, it may sound dramatic, but it works like a charm! So far, I have survived 100% of my bad days, and know I can handle anything.
- Be YOURSELF. Not who people want you to be. Have a voice. Be interesting.
- Stop caring so much what other people think and you will be free.
- Don't take life too seriously - we aren't getting out alive anyway :)
So, remember to start living by your own rule book, whatever it may read. Be you. <3
I think it's very easy to crave something new.
- A new job
- New bedding
- New clothes
- The list goes on and on....
In my life, I am usually always wanting something new to look forward to. I think it's easier to have something to look forward to; something new and exciting. However, it's also important in my opinion to not get so caught up in this "new craving" as I call it. Sometimes it is okay to just be content and in the moment. Even if there is nothing going on in your life, that feeling is something to appreciate. It's a little something we call life.
As easy as it is to get bored with that feeling of being content, I think it's crucial to stay in that moment...it allows us to truly appreciate the present. <3
Also, some beats for your week...
- Drive - Oh Wonder
- Rise - Tom Francis (fave)
- Hotline Bling - Kalle Mattson
- Last Lines - Akw
- Secret - Angel Snow
- For My Help - Hayden Cainin
- Sway - Anna of the North
I am a huge fan of the holidays, especially Christmas. However, I think it's easy to forget how stressful this time of year can be for so many. With all of the holiday shopping, family situations, and extra workload, the holidays can cause more stress than happiness for a lot of people. Here are some methods to stay cheery during this season!
Giving back to others and feeling thankful is a sure way to keep up your spirits. Volunteer at a local shelter or food bank. Check out Volunteer Match if you are having trouble finding volunteer events in your area.
Plan a holiday party
I recently hosted a girls holiday brunch and not only did it allow me to spend time with my friends during the busy holiday season, but cooking and planning a party is a great way to take your mind off of stress! Also, it doesn't hurt to make cute DIY holiday Pinterest favors.
I get so caught up in my own troubles that I forget how many people are struggling in the world. Always remember to be grateful for what you do have, not what you don't have.
My motto for life - stay positive! No matter what is going on, make sure to take a step back every day and turn every situation into a positive one.
One of my favorite parts of this time of year is cuddling up with a blanket and warm tea. Appreciating the small things in life is crucial..so, when it's cold outside, stay cozy! (PS - Try one of these 5 hot chocolate recipes to stay really warm!)
Personally, it has always been difficult for me to get into a state of complete meditation. But practice makes perfect. When feeling stressed, take 15 minutes out of your day to meditate. Find what works best for you; perhaps your idea of meditation is going to your favorite spot and practicing deep breathing. For me, taking breaks throughout my day at work help me to stay more focused and relaxed. Remember, it can be simple!
There's nothing like a fun DIY project during the holidays...I find it is one of the most effective ways for myself to relax and take my mind off of everything else. I want to try these sweet pretzel Anthro DIY ornaments!
Lay off the alcohol
This time of year is definitely when people tend to drink a bit more. I have found for myself it's best to limit yourself - especially when attending holiday work parties! For me, I enjoy situations much more when sober and always enjoy that glass of wine a bit more.
Make New Years Goals
I wrote in my previous post about specific goals I want to accomplish in the new year. Take some time to write a list of a few ways to better your life for the new year. Again, they can be simple - do not be unrealistic.
Learn to laugh and not take life so seriously! Life is beautiful if you look at it that way. <3
I say it all the time but this year really has gone by so quickly.
Around this time every year I tend to reflect back, as most of us might, about the ups and downs and major events of the year. In turn, I also look ahead to the next one and what I want to accomplish. I am always excited for the beginning of a new year; a fresh start. Obviously you don't need to wait until a new year for a fresh start but it tends to happen that way - at least for me.
I feel like I have accomplished a lot this year and think I need to give myself more credit more often. I have realized how positive my outlook on life has become - even in the last few months. I have also accepted many of my flaws and have learned to own them opposed to letting them hinder my life. However, I still have a lot to work on in my life. Below are some of my goals I want to accomplish still...
Care less what people think.
Give back. Volunteer.
Be more present. In other words, less time on my cell phone!
Be healthy (mind + body).
Stay informed + learn something new daily.
What are some of your goals? <3
Hope everybody had a great weekend. Here are some quotes and beats for your Monday. <3
- Hunting Happiness - W. Darling (fave)
- Let it Breathe - Water Liars
- Thank You - Bombadil
- Elephant - Hannah Georgas
- Carol of the Banjos - Beta Radio
- Holidays - The Lonely Wild
- Pieces - Andrew Belle
I am so excited (as always) for the weekend. I am hosting a girls holiday brunch on Sunday which will be fun. Hope you all have fun weekend plans!
1. Favorite Outfit - Casual fall flannel <3
2. Favorite White Elephant Gift - haha Hangry t-shirt!
3. Favorite Design - I love this fresh and clean identity for Leitaria Lisboa
4. Favorite DIY - Ugly Christmas Sweater cards for friends!
5. Favorite Sweet Treat - Red Velvet Bars, delish!
6. Favorite Scene - Winter wonderland
- Genghis Khan - Miike Snow
- Remember - Sammy Adams
- Auld Lang Syne - Andrew Bird (fave)
- White Gloves - Khruangbin
- Un Beso - Carla Morrison
- Ch-Ching - Chairlife