As far back as I can remember, I have always been a rule follower.
I'm not saying I haven't done bad before; but rather, have consistently attempted to follow "the book of life." You know, the one that says go to bed at a decent hour, don't lie, etc.
I think it's very easy to get caught up in making sure we are following this book that one day we can wake up and feel as though we aren't truly ourselves. For instance, I used to always feel like I needed to go to bed because it was dark outside opposed to going to bed when I actually felt tired. Or apologized to somebody because it's the "right thing to do."
I believe there comes a point in everybody's life where they need to make up their own rules...
My rules so far are:
- Don't strive for perfection - it doesn't exist. Embrace your humanness and stop waiting for perfection but rather learn to loosen up and enjoy life.
- When I get upset about something small, I literally say out loud to myself "Will this matter on my death bed?" Yes, it may sound dramatic, but it works like a charm! So far, I have survived 100% of my bad days, and know I can handle anything.
- Be YOURSELF. Not who people want you to be. Have a voice. Be interesting.
- Stop caring so much what other people think and you will be free.
- Don't take life too seriously - we aren't getting out alive anyway :)
So, remember to start living by your own rule book, whatever it may read. Be you. <3