First, here is some music to listen to while you read (if you're into that kind of thing :))
The older I get, the more I realize the great importance of patience. It is something that doesn't come naturally to me since I have a tendency to rush everything in my life (relationships, career, etc.) More than ever, I have that constant feeling of "I just want to get there already."
I have thought about where this urgency stems from...
- Society. This is an obvious one but I think it affects people the most. We often measure our success based on others success. Personally, I always find myself focusing on what everybody else is doing with their lives opposed to doing something about mine. The saying, "the art of comparison is the thief of joy", is important here. Do not compare.
- The belief that others experience success overnight. It's easy to perceive successful people as having had "instant success". I have to stop and remember figures like Steve Jobs did not get to where they were overnight. They worked their asses off. Work hard for what you really want. But, if something isn't happening right away, do not give up...in order to see results, you have to be patient. Imagine if all of the successful people in the world gave up on an idea.
- Forgetting that good things come to those who wait. This is a big one. Be patient enough to find the right person for you, the right job for you, and the right life for you. Know your worth. Do not settle.
- Accept it is okay to be where you are at in your life. It's okay to be single - it's okay to still be finding the right career, and it's okay to still be figuring what you want with your life. Life is a journey of figuring out all of these details but the key is to be patient on the journey.
Often I give up on my goals simply due to the voice in my head of "nothing is happening so you might as well give up." Next time this pops into your head, remember these three things:
- You have to work hard to get "there". Really hard.
- Never give up. Ever.
- Be patient.
The next step in all of this is figuring out where "there" is. What I mean by that is what do you want your life to look like? What is important to have in your life? It's crucial when trying to figure this out to not look at anybody's life except your own.
I am beginning to learn the art of appreciating life and all of the precious moments it brings. More importantly, I am learning to stop and consider what I actually want with my life opposed to what I think I want with my life. I am still trying to figure out all of the details, but once I do figure it all out, I plan to be patient. I hope you can focus on your life and what you really want with it. Do not listen to the critics and do not rush a good thing. Be patient. <3